This month’s challenge really was an exercise of mental stability and fortitude. Developing an entire loaf of soap to achieve two perfect pieces of soap that in turn forms one perfect lotus like flower blob. Oh boy!
I really did enjoy the experience, when I wasn’t cursing, dropping spoons, and knocking over bowls. Cutting the soap was probably the most stressful soaping experience I’ve had to date. After spending so much time, effort, and cash, the cut that doesn’t produce is like a lottery ticket that doesn’t win (ok, a bit exaggerative but you get the point).
I winced at each slice and I sliced a lot.
As I sat back and eyed all this soap I’d made, I saw that I had been missing something. So, the bars aren’t like the pieces of artwork given as examples but I thought there might be hope for them yet. I clean them up, steamed some of them, and even stamped them. Once all of this happened I saw that I had a beautiful pile of soap bars. Sure some of them are a little misshapen, I cut them all by hand, and sure the lotus flower is elusive, but look at what I’ve learned and experienced first hand. I intend to practice the technique occasionally in pursuit of the perfect elusive lotus and while I’m at it create a few more unique bars along the way. Happy Soaping and once again, thank you for the challenge! 😀
Making the soap
Of course I don’t have dividers yet so resorted to chopping up boxes and trimming them to size, sort of.
I also didn’t have tape. Therefore, I increased my soap recipe to account for some loss as I pulled the partitions out of my mold. I did not scrape them off as I pulled because I didn’t want to chance somehow picking up box along with the soap. AND, I really didn’t have time.
Stupidly, I decided to use an untried floral fragrance in my first batch and of course the soap batter riced on me almost immediately. I grabbed at my spoon and swirled away hoping to salvage the soap.
My second loaf I used a tested fragrance and achieved a lovely consistency that swirled perfectly….except I got carried away with the swirling, LOL. You can see here, the one on the right riced, the one on the left I really swirled!
So these were my first two attempts. I will not bore you with all of the details and steps.
Of course, I had to attempt the soap again. And again.
If I had time and more oil to spare, I might be tempted to try once more. I decided that dividers might be of use.
32 bars of challenge soap
Korpikoski the cat wanted to help…